Birthdays call for reflection. My birthday is also just a week short of my 1 year anniversary of being here. I love reflection. I got these questions online to get me started. :)
1.What did I learn? (skills, knowledge, awareness, etc.)
I learned more Spanish, my way around (well kind of around.. haha) San Isidro- where I live- and some of Buenos Aires, how to function in a foreign country, how to live in a house with 5 girls NOT from the South :), how to bake/cook- a lot more than I could, awareness of many shortcomings I have that I need to work on, and a greater awareness each day that my God is faithful. :)
2.What did I accomplish? A list of my wins and achievements.
I graduated college, survived my first year of teaching, and survived my first year living/teaching in Argentina.
3.What would I have done differently? Why?
I think I did what I could while learning to breath again. :) I'll do MANY things differently next year. Emphasis on the MANY.
4.What did I complete or release? What still feels incomplete to me?
I released my grip on the future. I have to do this every day. We all do. :)
5.What were the most significant events of the year past? List the top three.
I listed them above. :)
6.What did I do right? What do I feel especially good about? What was my greatest contribution?
I invested in people. I just love people. I want to do this more. I want to do this better. My greatest contribution was the love I hope I instilled in my students- love for Christ and love for others.
7.What were the fun things I did? What were the not-so-fun?
Fun= moving to an amazing place and meeting some fantastic God-loving folks, working at a great school
Not fun= missing my friends and family and hometown like crazy
8.What were my biggest challenges/roadblocks/difficulties?
The hardest thing was leaving what was (and maybe will be again) behind. I struggle with thinking and wondering and hoping about the future more than I should. Yes, the culture/language thing was and is hard, but I think the hardest was definitely being so far from family, friends, church, and town I love so much. I don't know if the desire to be there is just because it's where I grew up and where my roots are, or if it's the Lord, calling me back there to put down roots with my family... I just don't know. I don't know how I feel one way or the other... and to be honest... my feelings don't matter. I'm trying to discern where the Lord can use me most. And wherever that is, that's where I'll be. :)
9.How am I different this year than last?
I can see God's hand in things more tangibly than I could before now. I've also gotten better at discerning the Lord's voice in my heart and obeying it (in the small things). In the big things.. He's still got a lot of work to do. :)
10.For what am I particularly grateful?
I am so grateful for this whole journey: for the places I've been, the people I've met, and the things I've been able to be a part of. For me, it's always about the people. I'm grateful for my friends at home, for standing by me and not forgetting about me, for coming alongside with me in prayer and helping me on this journey. I'm thankful for my family, for always being there for me, no matter what. For loving me and supporting me, and missing me (it means more than you know). I praise God for bringing the BAICA family into my life. I didn't think I would grow this attached... but here I am. I love them so much... and can't imagine a time without them. I know they have forever changed my life, for the better. :)
____________________________________________________
:) Update on the school situation: Things haven't really changed. I'm here for the next year, still planning to return to the States in June of 2012. I will still be teaching 3rd grade this coming year, and school starts in about 2 weeks. I'm both sad vacation is ending and anxious to get the year started. Thanks so much for the prayers... I love and miss you all! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment