Iguazu Falls, Argentina

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Pre-Field Orientation

I'm leaving PFO tomorrow. I've been here since last Monday. These past few weeks have been absolutely amazing. Really, I can't even begin to describe the work God has done in me since I left. I've met four of my five housemates; I love them. We have all clicked so well. I've met a few other new and returning staff members whom I also love. God really does show up in the details. I've been journaling every day. Here are some excerpts from my journals, as well as some Bible verses that have spoken to me:

"Praise be to the God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." -1 Corinthians 1:3-4
The Lord has definitely been comforting me. He's been letting me know that I need to be where I am and do what He has called me to do right now. I can't worry about the future, for I am not even promised tomorrow. I have to lay my troubles, fears, and emotions at the foot of the cross daily.

"In this (hope for heaven) you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith- of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire- may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."- 1 Peter 1:6-7
Christ allows these trials to come into our lives to "refine" us. Without these trials what would teach me to rely solely on Him? Many times I feel that if I'm a competent person I should be able to deal with things on my own. Surprise, I can't!

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul...Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground." -Psalm 143:8, 10
I only have to make it through one day. God is teaching me that he's giving me one day at a time- giving me strength to make it through one day at a time. Grace for each day. I think "level ground" for me is like emotionally. I need to guard my emotions; my heart is deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9).

"The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing." -Psalm 145:13-16

Quote from a speaker this week: "We need to decide what kind of pain we want: the pain of letting someone in who may leave or not be there forever, or the pain of never allowing anyone to get that close."

I have been on the verge of tears since I got here. Not sad tears- more like tears of assurance. I know- more than I've ever known anything- that here is where God has called me to be. I'm where He needs me. And I'm so happy- so content. Praise you God- for you truly know the plans you have for me. And they're better than anything I could have ever dreamed up.

That's all I think I'm going to put on here. Just know that I'm so excited to be where I am, and even more excited to see where God's taking me. Thank you so much for your prayers; I can definitely feel them. I'm anxious and excited for the two weeks of saying "goodbye for now". I'll be praying for all of you guys at home; know you're on my mind and I love you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment